The performance overall I think went well given the circumstances but there were things that of course could’ve have gone a lot better and smoother. The highlight of the performance I would say was the found sounds that we manipulated as this sparked interest in the audience as I found they were intrigued with what the sounds were originally; I had a few people come up to me and ask what they were.
The facetime connection also worked really well and there wasn’t any lagging due to bad connection which we were worried about, as there isn’t any signal in the film studio and the Wi-Fi isn’t the best. The set up visually I think worked as everything could be seen clearly and how my table was set up I was able to reach everything I needed at ease.
Time was our biggest down fall and constraint, if we had more time we would definitely have had a lot more practice in and the performance could’ve ran a lot smoother.
The main problem while I was performing was that the mics would only work when I highlighted/clicked on the correct track, this meant I couldn’t just play the instruments into the microphone leading me to not using two of the home made instruments.
Throughout the process of finalizing idea there was always conversation about using the people who walk into the refectory as a trigger/stimulus. An example of this would be by trigger a specific melody, rhythmic pattern or use a particularly instrument whenever you see someone wearing a specific colour. This idea is something I definitely want to incorporate if we were to do the performance again as I think we needed something to visually react to, not just use the refectory as a whole as the stimulus.
It was also clear that it would’ve been more effective and easier if we had used Abelton, using this DAW would have allowed us to drop sounds in and out in time. Also using the sample pad and mics would’ve been simpler, as in Logic you had to click on the track for it to have the input and output working effectively whereas this isn’t an issue in Abelton. Using Abelton would’ve produced a more smooth and simpler outcome really. The reason we used Logic was because due to circumstances with Ophelia we had to work around a way for me to concentrate solely on the music and I’m more confident with logic than I am Abelton. Obviously if we had more time to practice and if the circumstances were different we would have definitely opted for Abelton.
The idea I feel could definitely be improved in different areas, such as the ones mentioned above. Taking this to a larger scale would take a lot of working out as it would defiantly be a case of taking it from logic and using Abelton as our music platform instead. The performance also needs a lot of time put into practicing for it, this is something I wished we have had more of as it was the cause of most problems for the performance.
The performance idea has a lot of room to grow and improve but as a base idea I think it could lead to something good.